Updated: Jul 2, 2020
Serves 4 Preparation time: 15min Cooking Time: 2hrs 20min
· 1 tbs olive oil · 500g gravy beef, cut into 3 cm pieces · 1 brown onion, thinly sliced · 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced · 1 carrot, peeled & thinly sliced · 1 celery stick, thinly sliced · 2 garlic cloves, crushed · 400g can diced tomatoes · 2 cups reduced-salt beef stock · ½ cup pearl barley · 2 rosemary sprigs · 2 dried bay leaves
· Small bunch Kale, chopped
Kale & Brussel sprout salad · 175g kale, chopped · 200g Brussel sprouts, very thinly sliced · 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced · 1 tbs olive oil · 1 tbs red wine vinegar · 1 tsp Dijon mustard · 1 tsp honey
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole pan over medium heat. Cook the beef, in batches, turning occasionally, for 3 min or until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the onion, fennel, carrot and celery to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 min or until onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min or until aromatic. Return the beef to the pan with the tomato, beef stock, barley, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for 2 hrs or until beef is tender. Add chopped Kale 10 min before serving.
3. To make the salad, combine the kale, Brussel sprouts and fennel in a bowl. Place the oil, vinegar, mustard and honey in a screw top jar and shake until combined. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve with the beef stew.